

September 11, 2019 meeting notes

*Attendees (members' names bolded):*

Linda Smith [PPS Director of TAG/IB], Shanice Clarke [PPS Director of Community Engagement], Margaret DeLacy [OATAG], **Scholle McFarland, Megan Robertson, Marnie Faust, Deborah F, Tanya Awabdy**, Amber Keller, Susan Rozensweig, Lane S, Yvonne King, Chris Luttkus

**I. Call to Order**

- A. Introductions
- B. Call for additional agenda items
- C. Announcements
  - 1. OATAG conference is coming up on October 26, 2019. The theme is twice-exceptional students “Celebrating Neurodiversity”. <https://www.oatag.org/conference.html>
  - 2. The district-wide TAG complaint submitted by 27 families last spring has been forwarded to the OR Dept of Ed. ODE has accepted the complaint and requested documentation from PPS, after which it will conduct an investigation. Contact Megan with questions or for more details: [megan@outofcoffee.com](mailto:megan@outofcoffee.com)

**II. Old Business**

- A. Bylaw changes:
 

Scholle motions to adopt 2019 language in clear replacement of 2017 language, Tanya seconds. After brief discussion, all members present vote to approve. **MEGAN** to update accordingly and publish to TAGAC webpages. <https://www.pps.net/Page/1548>

**III. New Business**

- A. Update from TAG department
  - 1. Nice to see so many familiar faces here tonight. :)

ACCESS enrollment update:

301 students enrolled as of today. 185 male, 116 female.

1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th	6th	7th	8th
6m/2f	8m/5f	28m/14f	22m/14f	31m/13f	36m/20f	25m/25f	29m/23f

Waitlist: only three grades are without waitlisted students.

As per enrollment workgroup’s work last year, rolling enrollment (until December) is in place for the grades with no waitlist (a new application will be put up). Principal Ginger will facilitate that process in collaboration with Enrollment & Transfer and admission will be her discretion.

Q: In some grades, are there female slots open (with waitlisted boys and no waitlisted girls)?

A: Title IX changes may mean that we cannot hold spaces for females -v- males. Linda will find out how waitlist and fall transfer applicants play together.

Comment: historically, new students were brought in for the second half of the year (February).

Q: Do waitlisted students get preference for next year?

A: No, but they will not have to complete a full application to be placed in the following year’s lottery.

Q: What about ‘hardship’ transfer outside of this secondary application window?

A: That is what this fall window is for.

Q: How will this be publicized?

A: Right - this is not meant to be an enrollment phase - it’s meant to support hardship transfer scenarios. TAG department is working with principals to communicate with students.

Q: How many people are on the waitlist?

A: Linda doesn’t know off-hand; that data lives in Enrollment & Transfer but Ginger has access as well.

2. There are 7577 TAG-ID'd individual students (some may be double or triple ID'd). This includes TAG potential IDs. That number includes IDs up through June 2019 (includes graduating students).
  3. NNAT-3 (Naglieri) will be used for universal 2nd grade testing this year. There is no reading on this test, which should benefit 2E and ESL students. Another benefit of the Naglieri is that it also provides a parent report.
  4. SBAC is now called OSAS (<https://osasportal.org/>). PPS has received last year's scores but not the percentiles yet. Results will go by USPS. For scores at 85th %ile and up, families will receive contact by TAG department to suggest nomination for identification.
  5. There will be two ID cycles starting this year (rather than just one). Students ID'd by the SBAC, universal 2nd grade testing or by MAP testing will be ID'd during the first half of the year. The spring ID cycle will be the testing by request.  
Q: How will MAP scores be used?  
A: The same way as SBAC/OSAS. It's a nationally-normed test so can be used for Math and Reading. Not every grade level at every school used the Reading MAP testing last year, so that will come online as the rollout continues. The TAG dept will also give Naglieri in other grades by request.
  6. The TAG dept holds a district-wide TAG facilitator meeting once a month for planning and professional development. Now that we have three TOSAs again, they are scheduling individual meetings with each school (principal & TAG facilitator together), spending about an hour to talk about expectations and goals. It's been really positive and connection-building. The new TOSA is Chris Smith. He has a high school background, former Lincoln teacher, experience at Gresham as well. TOSAs will make follow-up appointments with schools (mid and end of year).
  7. Professional development for new teachers and all instructional assistants. There are four PD opportunities for teachers.
  8. Four parent forums are scheduled 10/15, 12/3, 02/19, 04/15 6:30-8:00pm at BESC. OMSI dates are not yet set.
  9. Linda has been in collaboration with ESL community agents (?) at their Saturday Academy events to conduct outreach re: process. Also working with GEAR UP (<https://oregongearup.org/about>) in 9th & 10th communities.
- B. Marnie leads a TAG steering committee at Vestal, working with the TAG facilitator and principal to focus on TAG services. She has made sure that the allocated TAG money has been spent, at a minimum. Last year, worked on a language and writing workshop for all TAG students but ran out of time to hold it. The Vestal principal along with an EA are going to be teaching a pull-out this year (6-week pilot), focusing on 5th grade standards; it will be open to any TAG ID'd student.
1. Last year, they purchased Little Passports teacher edition, to be used in the 2019/2020 school year.
  2. Marnie keeps an email list (gathered voluntarily at TAG info night) and sends out info periodically (noting that recipients may be TAG ID'd families or interested families).
- C. TAGAC End of year report (2018-19)
1. Request that Linda please spearhead getting TAGAC a slot to speak to the PPS board. By late October or so. **NICOLE** and **TANYA** will be drafting the report.
- D. Outreach efforts
1. It is time to organize table/staffing for TAG events (OMSI, parent forums, etc.).
- E. Best practices for TAG identification at Title 1 schools
- Discussion of the allocation of Student Success Act funds. TAG and equity are not mutually exclusive. Let's propose something - Title 1 pilot program for example - request funds to hire a dedicated TAG TOSA to ID (appropriately for the community) and develop a program. [Tanya]
- Comment: money for staff development and acceleration may be available in other programs as well.  
[Margaret]

Comment: Linda suggests that Tanya & Nicole schedule a time to meet with her to discuss.

**IV. Questions from guests**

Q: Has there been discussion about acceleration paths in English for 9th or 10th graders? Coming out of ACCESS, the 9th grade English is essentially a repeat of what we did in 6th and 7th. Students are petitioning to bypass English 1-2.

A: No. The freshman academies are designed to provide community and personal contact so that kids' transition will be smoother (study skills instruction, learning cohorts, college readiness instruction). Sophomore cohorts are also in development.

Q: What about Virtual Scholars? I've been told it is for remedial purposes.

A: No, that's not right. But access is not guaranteed.

Q: What is the TAG budget per school?

A: It is held centrally, schools must request it. If the proposed use is TAG-appropriate and within the same historical level (\$1100) then TAG dept will approve.

Q: I tried to form a TAG parent group last year and did not have much success when I spoke to the TAG coordinator. I'm curious what is supposed to happen at TAG night and how to move forward on this.

A: As a parent, you have every right to speak up and say you'd like to form a parent group or mailing list, and invite people to join your list, etc.

Comment: 20 years ago, we identified parent liaisons at each school to share information, work with administration at the school, etc.

**V. Meeting adjourned 8:10p**

October 9, 2019 meeting notes

*Attendees (members' names bolded):*

Linda Smith [PPS Director of TAG/IB], **Jessica Colby, Eric Houghton, Megan Robertson, Marnie Faust, Deborah F, Tanya Awabdy, Nicole Iroz-Elardo**, Kevin Clark, Yvonne King, Margaret DeLacy [OATAG]

## I. Call to Order

### A. Introductions

### B. Call for additional agenda items

1. If there is time, an update from Marnie re: Vestal pilot TAG pull-out (the one she shared last month).
2. If time, update on coordination with SpEd, Response to Intervention checklist (RTI), etc.
3. Idea from Jessica: Rose City Park schedule has aligned Language Arts period within each grade, allowing for LA-focused pull-outs for SpEd, SLP supports, differentiation, etc. Also teachers are doing Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) within each grade. Reports are that it is going well. The thought is to collaborate with dyslexia committee, SPEAC and TAGAC to encourage this approach. Where is this happening (most title 1)?

Comment: PLCs are now required for every school (re: placement, support, etc.) part of Multi Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS). It is best practice to use this grade-level block approach. [Linda]

Q: Does GVC and PLC then promote block scheduling?

A: To meet standards, teachers will be more on the same page during the same time of the year, but block scheduling is not inherent to that. [Linda]

Comment: This can be restrictive if teachers get the message they must be doing the same thing, same topic, same objective at the same time. This has happened in the past. [Margaret]

Comment: PLCs are not a new thing. They must be monitored and administered. [Linda]

Comment: As a coalition-building effort, absolutely makes sense and would be positive. [Nicole]

Comment: A lot of 2E families get stuck between the Federal and the state systems. [Margaret]

### C. Announcements

1. OATAG conference is coming up on October 26, 2019. The theme is twice-exceptional students "Celebrating Neurodiversity". <https://www.oatag.org/conference.html> There is still space for volunteers (help with registration, traffic, resources) who will receive complimentary registration.

## II. Old Business

### A. Outreach @ TAG parent night (topic: Multipotentiality with RubyDawn Lyman on 10/15/19)

1. Marnie and Tanya are staffing this. Plan for 100 attendees. The materials are here: <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14FHeNqJYMPxkcNonayDOaRRStqelnAeh?usp=sharing>

Comment: Make sure TAG parents know about the ODE meeting on the 16th (which is not a listening session, but rather an informational session). [Deborah]

### B. End of year board report (Nicole & Tanya)

1. This has been started. Having a deadline would help.

Linda has asked for a spot on a board meeting agenda but has not received a clear response. It sounds like the protocol is that the presentation materials must be provided to the board and then the board will pick a date. Linda suggests coordinating with Rosanne Powell (Senior Manager, Board Office) or connecting with the Chief of School Support.

Q: Clarify whether the presentation needs to be delivered to sr. leadership prior to it going to the board.

A: That is the departmental process, but TAGAC is not a department. [Linda]

Comment: TAGAC is happy to follow the process but we expect to be able to present publicly to the Board as per bylaws. [Nicole]

## III. New Business

### A. Update from TAG department

1. Since we last met, the TAG department has been working with schools to deliver rate and level trainings, doing some testing, working with teachers in the Math dept to collaborate in writing individual TAG plans. There has been focus on training district-wide regarding use of the new curriculum mapping system (<https://www.onatlas.com/>).  
Q: Is that GVC-specific? Or is it a Common Core product?  
A: Atlas has loaded our Scope and Sequence into the site.  
Q: Can parents see the content? To gauge if the following year curriculum is suitable, for example?  
A: Well, it's all still really new. Lots of teacher materials are housed there and it is password-protected. I don't know what is available for parents to access. [Linda]  
Comment: Parent visibility would be a good transparency decision. [Nicole]
2. Preparing NNAT/Naglieri <https://tinyurl.com/NNAT3productDescription> for testing PPS' ~4000 2nd graders, which will be complete by November. The first set of MAP scores came back today, now that we have that and SBAC %ile rankings, so we will begin sending nomination information to students at the 85th %ile threshold. Also working on HU identification in schools.  
Comment: It would be smart to track response rates of nominations coming out of this effort. Then make contact with Title 1 schools to follow up, and then track what the further outcome is. [Nicole]  
A: That is part of our strategy of TOSAs meeting with all the school leaders.  
Comment: It would be smart to provide public summary data to TAGAC and the public about school nomination demographics, compared to score results.  
Q: How can we communicate the benefits of nomination? Sending a letter explaining the child met the threshold is a good first step, but many families don't see why it matters. [Marnie]  
Comment: Also, it would be smart to take a sampling of kids at 85th, 92nd and 98th and explore why families are or are not nominating.  
Q: How do we encourage teachers to provide rate and level to students who need it, regardless of ID? There may be teachers who understand rate and level as being only for TAG students.  
A: If kids are ID'd, rate and level is required by law. Otherwise it can become a workload issue.  
Comment: What about doing a TAG teacher of the year, by school? Along with SpEd, ESL, etc.?  
Q: Sidebar, what is my child supposed to be receiving?  
A: Individual plans are not required. If a parent requests, the teacher has 30 days to provide one (and will be compensated). Schools have building TAG plans. We recommend that parents ask specifically what differentiation is happening on a daily basis and how the child's level is being (re-)assessed.

Questions for TAG dept:

- Q: Problems with individuals receiving only some TAG emails.  
A: The list is pulled from Synergy (using whatever email is there - unclear if it is more than 1 parent email)  
\*\*There is a ticket filed with IT because the list is not distributing reliably. There are 10,000 recipients.  
Q: Self-subscribe/unsubscribe email list for TAG info?  
A: District wants district emails to go out using district tools. [Linda]
- Q: TAG events not listed on TAG web page: <https://www.pps.net/domain/196>  
Q: Post recent email content on TAG web page? Most schools do this.  
Q: How do events get put on school calendars? Could information be sent by principals or TAG facilitators?

- B. Strategies to secure funding from Student Success Act funds (Tanya) <https://www.pps.net/studentsuccessact>
1. Looking for ideas about lobbying for funds from the Student Success Act allocation. Do we meet with the school board members?  
Comment: In August 13th board meeting, leadership indicated that TAG will be discussed in the next budget and those SSA funds will be part of that budget. The Superintendent's office prepares the budget

and the board approves and reviews. At which point, there is very little wiggle room. [Margaret]

Comment: I would love to know what kinds of things the Superintendent's office support in the TAG arena? Maybe Title 1 TAG TOSAs (spend a day a week at each Title 1 school) focus on ID and working with teachers to provide services? [Nicole]

Comment: The ID of HU/ESL/etc. has to be the focus but will this happen without consistent rate and level instruction? [Jessica]

Comment: Look at cost of cluster grouping and middle school academies. OATAG recommends a minimum of \$500/student. Cost of staff time for planning and placement. But this would assume a different model, beyond differentiation. [Margaret]

Comment: Can we learn from yesterday's OPB piece about Salem's with students of color? Cultural outreach is necessary. [Marnie]

<https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-salem-keizer-schools-graduation-rates-students-color/>

Comment: Maybe pilot a handful of Title 1 schools.

Comment: Consider pilot of cluster grouping using local norms. If there is a group, then the focus can be on starting with a specific teacher cohort acquiring rate and level skills.

Comment: We have to find the sweet spot that Linda can support and staff may support. Also, will the board support it? Any effort has to move the needle for HU students. [Nicole]

Q: Linda, what do you think should be pursued?

A: We are working on a couple of Title 1 campuses looking at local norm IDs, now that MAP and SBAC scores are in, providing mentoring etc. 1 per TOSA. We have 12 elementary Title 1 schools.

Comment: community meetings - 10/17 at Lent, 10/19 at Faubion, 10/22 at Roosevelt, 10/24 at Benson.

**C. New middle school transfer process and ACCESS (Scholle)**

1. An ACCESS open house should occur during the new middle school lottery timeline. 11/4 - 12/4

Comment: Just learned of this. Linda and Judy Brennan will meet with Principal Ginger tomorrow.

**D. Update about ODE appeal of April's parent complaint re: TAG services (Tanya)**

1. Encouraged by Angela Allen's discussion of the appeal and the investigation. Angela is the state TAG specialist (the only state employee dedicated to TAG). Consultant Cliff Brush will be working with her to conduct the investigation.. At the meeting, ODE staff went through the timeline for the investigation. A 90-day extension has already been requested (not yet approved) (bringing the investigation deadline to April 23, 2020). OAR says that compliance must be in place by the beginning of the following school year. A 1-year extension can be requested by PPS. ODE can only investigate what is mandated in the OARs.

Specifically, looking at OARs 581-022-2325(2)(a), 581-022-2330(2), 581-022-2500(1), (3) and (4).

ODE is holding an informational session re: the investigation on 10/16/19 at BESC at 6pm.

Q: What can supporters do to assist at this point?

A: ODE will be soliciting feedback from as many TAG parents as possible - there will be surveys and Angela is accepting direct emails.

Comment: TAGAC can amplify this and share information. Given that PPS' mail systems are not working reliably, we need to find other ways. After next week's meeting, we will have a better idea of ODE's process and can disseminate that information.

**MEGAN** will work on a template to guide parents in their testimony.

Comment: Include TAGAC reports in evidence to ODE and share with PPS families. [Deborah]

**IV. Questions from guests**

Comment: Advisory committees should have a formal budget, childcare, etc.

Comment: The TAG dept should have FTE for a full-time psychologist.

**V. Meeting adjourned 8:20pm**



November 13, 2019 meeting notes

*Attendees (members' names bolded):* Linda Smith [PPS Director of TAG/IB], Scott Bailey [PPS Board/TAGAC Board liaison], Ezell Watson III [PPS Community Engagement Specialist], **Megan Robertson, Scholle Sawyer-McFarland, Eric Houghton, Tanya Awabdy, Jessica Colby**, Chris Luttkus, Kevin Clark, Amber Keller, Yvonne King, Margaret DeLacy [OATAG]

## I. Call to Order

- A. Introductions
- B. Call for additional agenda items
- C. Announcements
  1. OATAG: The conference was a success. OATAG is offering a mini-grant program for students who want to do a project (\$150) under teacher supervision. [www.oatag.org/student\\_grants.html](http://www.oatag.org/student_grants.html) A donor has sponsored three grants. Proposals deadline of December 13, 2019. Margaret attended the National Org for Gifted Children (NAGC) conference which was full of useful information. [www.nagc.org](http://www.nagc.org)

## II. Old Business

- A. End of year board report (Nicole & Tanya)
  1. Linda has corresponded with Rosanne Powell to schedule a time to present to board. It has been suggested that TAGAC might report to Director Bailey who will report back to the School Board. It sounds difficult to get on the agenda without a report already prepared. TAGAC asks Director Bailey to determine a date for TAGAC to present to the full Board. **SCOTT B.**

## III. New Business

- A. Update from TAG department (Linda)
  1. OATAG put on a great conference; Linda attended with one of the TAG TOSAs.
  2. The TAG dept is spending time meeting specific requests for support (by teachers). General teacher PD around identification and instruction for HU students, regardless of ID. Another round of rate and level training is underway at all schools.
  3. The TAG parent session was successful. The topic for the next meeting will be determined based on parent feedback. December 3rd is the next date. RubyDawn Lyman will present again.  
Q: How many parents attended the 'multipotentiality' session? A: Probably 30, possibly because of email list not working properly or ambiguous session title. There were 90 each at previous sessions.
  4. 11/22, the TAG dept will present to all of the district TOSAs on rate and level and ID (90 minutes).
  5. The TAG dept is also working with schools on how to use MAP data to inform student instruction.
  6. The 2nd graders (3,800 of them) have been evaluated with the Naglieri (NNAT3). Teacher feedback is that it went well and the students took it in stride. Tests have been sent out to Pearson for scoring. Digital scoring will come back first and provide more info than previous test results.
  7. The TAG dept is sponsoring an OMSI family night ( Monday 12/9, 6-8pm). Email went out yesterday. Entry and special exhibit are free of cost. There will be another family night in March (featuring Body Worlds, with limited entry at a small cost). This year's exhibits are appealing to older students.
  8. TAG nominations are due 11/26 to the TAG facilitator or main TAG office. Parents have received postcards re: qualification by SBAC/OSAS or MAP scores. There is an uptick in some groups of previously missed kids. It isn't clear yet if there is bandwidth to send postcards for spring MAP scores.
  9. The TAG data clerk is running data to compare the nomination conversion rate (possible to actual). Two ID efforts this year, with the first set ID'd prior to the spring semester. Teacher feedback is helping to ID additional students who are not being caught by testing.

Q: Is MAP being used universally? A: Yes, it is required.

Comment: I hope changes to TAG testing and process improvements are being communicated to families. Those who are not on the TAG list (because not ID'd) don't have a way to be kept up to date.

Comment: Preparing a hand-out for teachers to distribute at conferences and/or a flowchart to put on TAG bulletin boards would be helpful. Aside from the logistical issue, there is an equity component.

Linda: Absolutely. This is part of our approach in teaming with PPS ESL Department Community Agents to reach ESL populations, etc. (link to Community Agents: <https://www.pps.net/Page/1844> )

Q: In administering the math or language arts TAG testing, what accommodation is there for English Language Learners? A: This is a national problem. We do use the CLED scales to ID. We are focusing on data analysis of under-identified groups. <http://www.cledscales.com/>

Comment: The Oregon Education Association has voted to look at ID issues. So we will be hearing a lot more. People get hung up on the TAG ID itself - but the TAG mandate provides a floor, not a ceiling. The core issue is differentiating instruction to students' needs, whether ID'd or not. Also, what adaptation are older students receiving, especially as ELL students?

Comment: The Naglieri is designed for K-12. What is the approach for older students?

Comment: I'd like to see automatic TAG testing of older ELL students as they enter PPS. Or all students.

Comment: At this moment, ID means little in terms of service and that is always the first question.

Ezell: Part of my responsibility is to look at the role of family and community. If other communities were receiving ID, then there would be likely be more diversity in advocacy and in the faces at the table here. [General agreement] I'm wondering what my team can do to promote more discussion in under-ID'd groups - we are connected to community-based organizations and different communication forums outside of PPS.

Scott: What are the next steps for services? A: TAGAC has presented many options; it's a staff question.

Comment: At the August board meeting (during the April 2019 TAG complaint segment), board commentary showed that TAG ID is viewed as a privilege. The list of growth demographics that were listed to be tracked did not reflect TAG at all. Intersectionality was completely disregarded, defaulting to a zero-sum game view.

Q: Regarding the Guaranteed Viable Curriculum (GVC) - how is rate and level being incorporated? Does rate and level extension extend beyond the basic scope and sequence (out of grade level)?

A: Materials are linked in the dashboard where the curriculum is hosted. But no, not out of grade level.

B. TAGAC Outreach (Scholle)

1. Volunteers: Yvonne, Tanya (3rd parent workshop 12/3). Jessica, Tanya (12/9 OMSI night).

C. Strategies regarding Student Success Act funds (Tanya) <https://www.pps.net/studentsuccessact>

1. Goal: Propose a plan to augment TAG supports at Title 1 schools, funded by SSA. Nicole, Scott and Tanya met last weekend to discuss the idea of collecting top 20% data per school to understand the local norms (and related growth) to determine and compare trajectories. Next steps would be to identify principals receptive to a TOSA's support to help more teachers get differentiation into play faster, benefiting all students. Four additional TAG TOSAs over 8 schools, possibly.

Comment: Many schools have co-located programs - is that impacting title 1 status? Would we look at neighborhood stats -v- co-located program stats?

Comment: CSI: Comprehensive School Improvement. TSI: Targeted School Improvement.

These are ESSA/SSA terms. Schools in these categories will be the focus of SSA funds.

[https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/171/state\\_report\\_card\\_overview\\_board\\_version\\_final.pdf](https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/171/state_report_card_overview_board_version_final.pdf)

D. Vestal TAG update (Marnie absent) TABLED



E. TAG testing and response to intervention process (RTI) (Jessica) TABLED

**IV. Questions from guests**

Q: Enrollment balancing work session - is it Monday 11/18? A: 6pm in Mazama, yes.

Q: Alongside community advocacy, what about community services and resources that could facilitate TAG programming? Communities have people with expertise - that can be leveraged. Partnerships, volunteerism?

A: Strategic Partnerships and Engagement has recently hired a Director of Community Engagement to foster those sorts of programs, working to engage communities around SSA fund usage, etc. [Ezell]

Q: Differentiation is hard. Single Subject Acceleration cannot be considered equitable because we aren't doing enough of it. Will it become more available if we are IDing better and differentiating better? [Chris]

A: Differentiation has to happen even with a robust Single Subject Acceleration program.

Comment: The evidence in favor of acceleration is overwhelming and I can't understand why it isn't happening routinely in PPS.

Q: MAP is available in Spanish - is it being used? *[comment: NWEA materials state that students may select to see instructions in Spanish]* <https://teach.mapnwea.org/impl/SpanishReadingNormsOverview.pdf>

V. **Meeting adjourned** 8:05pm

January 8, 2020 meeting notes

*Attendees (members' names bolded)*: Linda Smith [PPS Director of TAG/IB], Kathleen Ellwood (Area Sr Director for various schools in Madison, Lincoln, as well as both ACCESS sites), Scott Bailey [PPS Board/TAGAC Board liaison], Shanice Clarke [PPS Director of Community Engagement], **Megan Robertson, Tanya Awabdy, Jessica Colby, Eric Houghton, Marnie Faust**, Margaret DeLacy [OATAG]

## I. Call to Order

### A. Introductions

### B. Call for additional agenda items:

Jessica: I'd like to discuss how at Rose City Park, the choice to align the language arts schedule within each grade to create a daily intervention period to provide supports (which could include acceleration). Specialists (reading, instructional, ESL, SpEd) provide the support, which is working really well in combination with professional learning communities. Also planning on aligning math. This has all been driven by the RCP principal.

Linda: Yes! The way these supports work best is in the context of the classroom work. Flexible grouping during that time is also meeting the needs of the kids.

Kathleen: Skyline and Scott schools are discussing doing this as well. Early February staffing discussion is coming up so this is the time to discuss and make plans. Part of the challenge is the required minutes. But any LA class should be differentiating so this type of intervention would count towards direct instruction.

Margaret: Would it make sense to point to this as part of the TAG compliance plan?

Linda: That would require a TAG specialist at each school, which would be optimal. PPS doesn't have that.

Jessica: This type of collaboration would make equitable identification so much more possible.

Margaret: A major part of the problem is that TAG is siloed. TAG doesn't have to fund this approach.

Kathleen: There are some schools with no specialists at all.

Q: What are the obstacles?

A: Money, staff, expertise, scheduling. K-8 scheduling is very hard due to sharing across lower and middle programs. Part-time staffing also makes this model difficult.

Scott: Part of middle school redesign would make sense to include a flex period every day to allow individual catch up or specialist time.

Kathleen: This is happening at Roseway Heights. A lot of workload challenges come into play however.

### C. Review of November meeting notes. Moved & seconded, all present members **VOTE** to approve.

### D. Announcements:

Tanya A and Jessica C have agreed to serve as chair and vice chair for the remainder of the year and their appointments were confirmed by electronic **VOTE** in accordance with our bylaws.

## II. Old Business

### A. End of year board report (Nicole & Tanya)

Tanya is leaning toward a set of forward-looking recommendations in April or May.

## III. New Business

### A. Update from TAG department (Linda)

1. Nomination forms were due 11/26/2019; some are still being processed and should be in this week. The volume of nominations seems in line with past years.
2. We have new IDs from OSAS and MAP (grades 3 and up) and letters will go out by early February. (The translation department is swamped.) 2nd grade letters (fall NNAT3 testing) will also be going out at that time. More kids in HU populations are qualifying with MAP who weren't with SBAC. Higher NNAT3 qualification rates in some schools than previously. The identification pool seems more diverse.
3. We are now scheduling the IOWA for academic testing and any NNAT3 testing for non-2nd graders.
4. 11/22/2019 We trained all the district TOSAs on rate and level, a 90-minute session.

5. OMSI was very successful, over 500 attendees. Next one is 05/04/2020 with a small entry fee for the special exhibit (Body Worlds <https://bodyworlds.com/>).  
Shanice: offers the idea of her office sponsoring special exhibit entry fee to make the event accessible.
6. 02/19 RubyDawn Lyman will be back to deliver another parent TAG session.
7. This year's ACCESS application window will open 02/05/2020 (and close 04/27/2020). Enrolled PPS students with a qualifying score on a PPS-administered test will not need to upload proof of score.  
There will again be team-based applications as well individual, like last year. [www.pps.net/Page/2343](http://www.pps.net/Page/2343)  
The lottery logic remains: FRL up to 38%, then sibling but gender will be removed, citing title IX as the reason. Lottery logic: [www.pps.net/Page/2343](http://www.pps.net/Page/2343)

Comment: Please share the number of kids ID'd in this first pass (#2 above), since this is the first year we have two ID cycles. Those kids will be eligible for services in 2nd semester instead of the following year and that's a big win.

Linda will share those numbers once they are finalized as well as conversion information (OSAS/ MAP eligible for nomination compared to the number of actual nominations) <*Megan*>

Comment: I'd like to be sure support is offered to ESL parents in the process of developing a TAG plan. And be able to analyze which families are not choosing to nominate despite qualifying scores.

Q: NNAT3 reports for scores  $\geq$  95th percentile went to families directly, yes? (Linda confirms)

Q: Can we see a sample of what the communication to families looks like? <*Megan*>

Linda: Good news - Synergy now finally lists the student's specific ID area(s) (we've had just a Y/N flag).

Q: re: ACCESS admissions. Were any students admitted in the fall (outside of waitlist)?

A: No transfers have been requested by families other than those on the waitlist.

Megan: Regarding title IX having new impact on the ACCESS lottery, that doesn't seem to make sense. No changes have been made to title IX and the proposed changes have to do with sexual harassment. I request a written explanation from a PPS lawyer as to why gender balance is being removed from the lottery logic for ACCESS. Linda agrees to follow up. <*Megan*>

Q: re: a reunited site for ACCESS. Whose radar is this on?

A: Scott met with Claire Hertz and brought up ACCESS today. 02/04 board work session on enrollment balancing, featuring updated info re: buildings, transfer information, etc.

Comment: Portland needs a 2E program.

Comment: ACCESS needs focus 2E classrooms, de-escalation rooms, etc.

## B. Advocacy for TAG support at CSI schools (Tanya)

### 1. Board and district outreach (Tanya)

Linda's budget ask will include additional TOSAs to dedicate to CSI schools. Tanya has met with a range of staff and board members, along with Linda, to float this idea. We have lessons to learn from the Dyslexia council. TAG at its core is about differentiation. We actually don't want TAG-specific services; we want differentiation for all students.

**Scott** will send a data request of gains by top 20% at CSI schools for analysis. <*Tanya*>

Margaret: be careful, often the expectation for upper percentiles is of lesser gain.

Jessica: the Dyslexia group is truly centering equity and starting there, in every discussion. Supporting the kids with the most need inherently helps every kid.

2. HU community outreach and survey (Jessica)

We've been trying for years to do what's best for all kids, but our representation is not diverse. It's hard for us to understand and hear disagreement or criticism of our efforts but we need to learn from it.

Shanice: Relationship-building within organizations is really powerful and I think there is space to work on this to leverage trust relationships to paint a clearer picture of what's needed. <Jessica>

Megan's table analogy. Tl;dr I don't think we know what is needed and we have to stop inviting people to our table. We need to ask to sit at their tables and understand how we can contribute.

Margaret: 2013 TAG survey showed a lot of dissatisfaction.

Jessica: What were the demographics of the respondents?

Eric: We have to work to change the narrative that there is nothing happening in TAG. Forward momentum focus. <Tanya>

C. Vestal TAG update (Marnie)

Vestal has started a TAG pull-out program. All ID'd kids are invited. Permission slip went home, all families said yes. 3 days a week for half an hour. Teacher is Brandon Burke (Student Management Specialist). They are calling it an "International Studies" pull-out, connecting to Social Justice standards. Kids get support on developing a project and determining their output, incorporating math, research, social studies, writing, etc. They earn a stamp in their passport as they master standards. The standards are posted in the classroom. For the remainder of the year, they will target the specific TAG areas the kids are ID'd in. Topic: Global Goals for Sustainable Development. They see the additional benefit of the kids coming to know each other and mentoring each other. Initially 3rd-5th graders, and will include all new IDs moving forward.

Q: How did this all come about?

Answer: It grew organically as a pilot. Ms. Flamoe was running it with an instructional specialist but the schedule was difficult with part-time FTE. So it evolved into this program run by Mr. Burke.

D. TAG testing and response to intervention process (RTI) (Jessica) TABLED

E. TAGAC website and mailing list (Tanya) TABLED

F. Division 22 report (Megan) TABLED

**IV. Questions from guests**

Q:

**V. Meeting adjourned 8:10pm**

February 12, 2020 meeting notes

*Attendees (members' names **bolded**):*

Linda Smith [PPS Director of TAG/IB], Shanice Clarke [PPS Director of Community Engagement], Scott Bailey [PPS Board/TAGAC Board liaison], **Tanya Awabdy, Megan Robertson, Eric Houghton, Marnie Faust**, Jane Chaddick, Jenny Staab, Kevin Clark (Benson Tech Site Council, etc.), Bella Gilbertson (Madison Youth Action Council adult liaison), Lane Shaffer (Madison Youth Action Council student liaison), Margaret DeLacy [OATAG]

## **I. Call to Order**

- A. Introductions
- B. Call for additional agenda items:
- C. Announcements:

OATAG: October 24th Fall Conference date has been set. Passes 'save the date' bookmarks. Attended last week's Council for Exceptional Children Council conference- has handouts.

TAG: February 19th RubyDawn talk. Childcare and Spanish translation will be available. Marnie is able to table. Who else? The April talk will be at a different location with childcare, etc.

## **II. Special Guests: (Bella & Lane, Madison Youth Action Council)**

- A. The Madison Youth Action Council is developing TAG policy recommendation to state legislators. The council has five policy recommendations drafted and is asking TAGAC to consider support.
  - 1. Make accelerated learning opportunities accessible to HS freshmen & sophomores. Make sure that counselors have better information, updated course guides, etc. Reduce the need for self-advocacy and remove students from the position of bringing staff up to speed.
  - 2. Update/provide TAG plans for all HS; some do not have useful information or are not published at all.
  - 3. Include student voice on TAG issues. The district TAG plan, for example, does not include the input of students in creating individual TAG plans. Students are interested in establishing a youth sub-committee of TAGAC or another method of engagement.
  - 4. Revise individual TAG plan process. Students report difficulty getting TAG plans. For example, they are told that since school offers AP or IB, there is no need.
  - 5. Approve access to higher rate and level courses at a younger grade level. Students are losing class time to self-advocacy. For example, efforts to complete credits by exam are met with confusion or incorrect information, followed by unresponsiveness. Advanced courses are not included in forecasting; if students don't know to go to the counselor or feel empowered to do so, they conclude they can't take those courses. TAG students report Freshman English is not appropriate rate & level, also College/Career exploration (AVID, etc.) is not useful.

Comment: There is the option of pushing to update state regulations/statutes to include student input. Margaret can help with this. The Oregon Dept of Education has begun reviewing administrative rules and will convene stakeholder groups.

Comment: It would be good to check in with Senator Dembrow; I can connect you. [Scott]

Comment: Let's add that to the TAG processes in PPS. Consider SpEd model for student participation.

Q: What is the hang up in letting students access accelerated learning opportunities, from a board perspective?

A: I suspect each HS manages this differently. (Scott)

Comment: That is inequitable. Either have flexibility everywhere or let students transfer.

Scott: We will ask Joe LaFontaine (Regional Superintendent, High Schools, Multiple Pathways) to attend a TAGAC meeting to discuss HS. Students should speak up at board meetings; student voices have impact.

Q: How can we support the Youth Action Council's work?

A: Students have limited capacity to attend meetings - transportation, schedule, etc. Help us know what's most critical where we can make an impact. (Lane)

Comment: Student council reps meet monthly, the week before the board meetings. Perhaps they can ally to bring issues forward. I can help make that connection. (Shanice)

Comment: Keep us in the loop as you are able to: [emailtagac@gmail.com](mailto:emailtagac@gmail.com) (Tanya)

### III. Old Business and Unfinished Action Items (AI)

#### A. Board check-in (Tanya)

Presentation to PPS Board: Tanya will meet with Nicole this week and circle back to Linda.

#### B. Data on CSI schools – looking for growth rates of top 20% at CSI schools (Scott B.)

Scott: no news. Resources strapped with other efforts.

Also notes that 36M doesn't go very far, it turns out. For example, alternative HS receive less per student as it is and we're focusing on that inequity. First priority is social workers, psychologists, math & reading specialists, MS counselors.

Q: What about non CSI/TSI schools? What will they see?

A: Some additional teaching resources where classes are too big (have to pay extra on teacher contract if over limit). We'll see more in MS. We're hoping to go to 7 periods in all MS in the long run but don't have the resources yet. (Scott)

Comment: Principals are excited with the staffing allocations being communicated. PPS is trying to hire right away because there will be tons of competition statewide.

Comment: This is the time to talk about prioritizing/compensating TAG specialization as part of PPS contract negotiations/new hiring.

#### C. Advocacy for TAG support at CSI schools – HU community outreach (Linda/Shanice)

Shanice and I met about collaborating with other constituents. (Linda)

Passing around a memo, detailing potential partner organizations and guidance on equitable membership selection, with an eye to conducting an annual review of how to evolve membership. Also, let's iron out specific support my department can offer for OMSI family night. (Shanice)

We also met with the Rose City Park administration to learn about their model. Schools are all going through **MTSS\*** training (6 full days for leadership) (this effort will take several years). Part of that is working with scheduling to provide interventions. PPS has systems in place that are providing training to principals to move this effort forward. It's been a 5-year process at RCP, initiated at Roseway Heights, teacher buy-in etc. MTSS opens the door to "walk-to" subjects. (Linda)

**\*Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS)** is a comprehensive framework used to provide targeted support for all learners. It is rooted in supporting the "whole child", whether an advanced or struggling learner, through academic, behavioral, social and emotional services.

#### D. TAG Dept budget (Tanya/Linda)

No cuts. No increase. (Linda)

#### E. Blurb to send out to recruit new TAGAC members and increase membership diversity (Marnie)

Marnie wrote a great blurb and we'll share it electronically for an editing pass.

#### F. ACCESS enrollment and gender balancing (Megan)

The application window is open. 6 families have re-applied. 7 new applications. (Linda)

The lottery has been changed to make it more gender-blind. TAGAC received a brief explanation of the decision from legal:

"Guidance we have received at the state level is that we should not implement an application process that favors one sex over another. Future efforts to balance the enrollment should include looking at the offerings, the image of the program, how it is advertised, etc."



TAGAC has asked to meet with legal and Title IX to clarify those district efforts in achieving a more proportionate enrollment at ACCESS but has not been able to get a meeting.

One issue to consider is the gender weight in the lottery (set at 1.3 for female/non-binary applicants). A 1.3 weight is only effective if the applicant ratio is close to 50:50. The ACCESS applicant ratio is more like 65:35 and a 1.3 weight has little impact, especially in grades that are already disproportionate. (Megan)

Legal and Title IX have offered to come to TAGAC's March meeting. Our concern (based on years past) is that March will be too late. Typically, we are told it is too late for changes this year. (Megan)

One success is that legal has reviewed the statutes and determined that ACCESS can promote the program to appropriate students. We've been asking for this review for three years. (Tanya)

Next steps: The right people need to get together to have a strategic discussion. It doesn't seem clear that TAGAC, legal and Title IX is the full group.

Comment: board will vote on scope of work for enrollment balancing on 2/25. ACCESS is called out as a specific outcome for the process. The search process has been initiated with the goal of one place. (Scott)

Comment: I hope that will eliminate the need for the lottery.

Comment: There will be some free space in Faubion. There is a lot of discussion around BESC about what will happen to Concordia's property. It could be they would be open to some long-term leases. (Scott)

- G. Data collection on current year TAG nominations (Linda)  
See related below in TAG dept update.

#### **IV. New Business**

- A. Update from TAG department (Linda)

1. The postcards sent out to families of students scoring 95th-99th  $\geq$ 4th grade fall MAPS/SBAC yielded 1217 IDPFs. 2nd grade process is underway, students are ID'd now-ish and will receive services this year (instead of in the fall, as it used to be). The TAG dept received 813 K-3 testing requests, and 403 requests for grades 4-11 NNAT testing.
2. Linda has been in over 100 classrooms over the last few weeks as part of the ODE investigation. Principals have been welcoming and TAG dept is building new connections which means more contextual, whole school training - yay! Four CSI/TSI schools in particular are enthusiastic. MTSS, Avid, TechSmart etc. are also coming into schools now.

Comment: K-2 students who are acting out need to be looked at for TAG.

#### **V. Questions from guests**

Q:

- VI. **Meeting adjourned** 8:10pm

March 11, 2020 meeting notes

*Attendees (members' names **bolded**):*

Linda Smith [PPS Director of TAG/IB], **Tanya Awabdy**, **Megan Robertson**, **Jessica Colby**, **Marnie Faust**, **Eric Houghton**, Kevin Clark (Benson Tech Site Council, etc.), Yvonne King

## **I. Call to Order**

- A. Introductions
- B. Call for additional agenda items
- C. Announcements

## **II. Old Business and Unfinished Action Items (AI)**

### A. Board check-in (Tanya)

We do not yet have a target date. There is a general feel that Scott is our leverage for this and also that engaging with the board is an important part of establishing our focus on identification and services within CSI/TSI and historically-underserved populations.

Q: Is there a template that the board expects to see for committee reports? A: No.

Q: Have other committees been making reports? A: No.

### B. Data on CSI schools – looking for growth rates of top 20% at CSI schools (Scott B.) TABLED

Comment: Reframing our purpose would be a first step to communicating our focus => mission statement.

Comment: Need to start systematically working through Shanice's list of community organizations.

Possibility of a survey to TAG constituents we don't normally hear from, partnering with Shanice's office.

### C. Outreach and new member recruitment: next steps; childcare for meetings (Tanya, Jessica, Marnie)

Childcare is \$200/mtg through the district, whether or not it is used. Unclear where TAGAC meetings will be held in the short-term, if at all.

Body Worlds will not be handling ticketing per family - the whole fee has to be paid up front. TAG will cover this along with Shanice's office, assuming the event is held (in light of large gathering restrictions).

### D. ACCESS enrollment and gender balancing (Megan, Tanya)

Liane and Mary Kane ran a thirty minute meeting with Judy Brennan, Steve Rouffy, Kathleen Ellwood, and Linda Smith. Some time was dedicated to education with respect to the nomination process. Liane is interested in gathering a group to look at the weighting of gender and the goal of gender balance, with the goal of establishing a plan. Families have not yet received 99th %ile eligibility letters so it's hard to make weighting decisions at this point.

Q: Can you describe any possibilities that were explored?

A: It's clear that holding spots per gender per grade is not a good practice. If each grade had its own weighting, that might be useful. It seems clear that folks at the table see there is a problem and are focused on a plan to fix it.

Q: How do other DLI and FO schools manage this?

A: They are all weighted the same and follow the lottery logic established by district policy.

### E. Data collection on current year TAG nominations (Linda)

3828 nominations in 2019-20. Currently 1851 have been ID'd (but this doesn't include IOWA or NNAT testing). Focused on tracking the rates at which schools are informing families of scores, resulting nominations and what the conversion rate is to TAG identifications.

Use of local norms has not yet been put into formal policy but it will allow identification to move away from lockstep with scores.

There is a new hire in Student Reporting who is revamping how reporting is done ([Dr. Russell Brown](#)).

### **III. New Business**

#### **A. Update from TAG department (Linda)**

1. The next RubyDawn parent talk is scheduled for April 15th, 6:30 @ Tubman middle school, but uncertain if it will happen.
2. 3 large PDs over the next few months have been cancelled. Working on other more intensive, focused school-based options, especially since substitutes are not generally available at this point. Starting with two title 1 schools with high HU populations.
3. ODE TAG investigation site visits. Linda has attended the majority of them with Angela and has been in ~150 classrooms so far. The team will start visiting high schools on Friday. It's been really helpful in creating relationships with administrators and teachers. ODE has or will go into a total of 44 schools, so far into every core class (not electives, not substitutes) for 15-20 minutes. At high school, the team will likely go into 4 classrooms per period.

#### **B. Board update, re: TAG and ACCESS siting (Scott B) TABLED**

#### **C. TAG testing and RTI (Jessica)**

MTSS Chandra Wilson-Cooper is recommended as a person to approach about whether TAG considerations are a formal part of behavioral intervention processes.

#### **D. TAGAC website and mailing list (Tanya)**

Discussion of a limited page with TAGAC-owned information.

### **IV. Questions from guests**

Q:

#### **V. Meeting adjourned 8:02pm**

May 20, 2020 meeting notes

*Attendees (members' names **bolded**):*

Linda Smith [PPS Director of TAG/IB], **Tanya Awabdy**, **Megan Robertson**, **Jessica Colby**, **Scholle McFarland**, **Eric Houghton**, **Marnie Faust**, Sally Maltman, Margaret DeLacy, Tanya Schaefer, Yuliana ?, Jenny Staab, Jane Chaddick, Jennifer Edmonds, Chase Thompson, Kevin Clark (Benson Tech Site Council, etc.), Yvonne King

*Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this meeting was held via video conference. No meeting was held in April, 2020.*

## **I. Call to Order**

- A. Introductions
- B. Call for additional agenda items  
=>Check in on 2E needs.
- C. Announcements  
OATAG: Our member poll shows preference for an October virtual conference. We are trying to move other planned events online. OATAG published a set of resources:  
[www.oatag.org/resources\\_covid-19.html](http://www.oatag.org/resources_covid-19.html) OATAG is holding an online social in a week or two and TAGAC might like to do some outreach there. [Margaret]

## **II. Old Business and Unfinished Action Items (AI)**

- A. Board check-in (Tanya)  
We will need data in order to make a meaningful report. [Tanya]
- B. Outreach and new member recruitment: next steps; childcare for meetings (Tanya, Jessica, Marnie, Eric)  
This is something we can do online. [Tanya]  
Seems like yes, we could. People will likely have a lot of questions. We can share resources to families. Is it a good time for it? [Marnie]
- C. ACCESS enrollment and gender balancing (Megan, Tanya)  
There are some efforts underway to get partial applications complete. It is unclear exactly when the lottery will run or when results will be shared but we are not off-schedule compared to prior years. [Linda]
- D. Data collection on current year TAG nominations (Linda)  
# Nominations district-wide in the spring: Intellectual 1133, Math 1223, Reading 1468 => 3824 (note: one student might be nominated for one, two or three areas so this does not represent 3824 students.)  
# Identifications district-wide in the spring: 2364 were made (62%)  
We are seeing good conversion at CSI/TSI schools coming from use of CLED scales, portfolios, MAP scores, etc. Identifications of ESL and lower SES students is increasing and we are getting started on analyzing trends. We are focusing on this in our PD development. It is clear that some schools and teachers are looking for alternative ways to ID kids and some think they need to wait on a score. Some feel like it's the responsibility of the elementary schools to ID kids and it isn't relevant in middle school.  
  
Q: Are middle school identifications going up? [Jessica]  
A: I don't have numbers, but in general, yes, with the use of MAP scores. [Linda]
- E. State TAG investigation update (Linda)  
See below in III.A. TAG update.

## **III. New Business**

- A. Update from TAG department, TAG services while distance learning? (Linda)  
Teachers and parents and students are still in survival mode. Many families are taking a break from school. Teachers are working above and beyond just trying to connect with kids. There are pockets of

teachers that are attempting some TAG efforts. Individual rate and level is not a reasonable priority right now when we aren't able to engage with many kids at all. Even higher-resourced schools are in survival mode. Families are scrambling for food. In conversations with the state (ODE), providing resources to school leaders and teachers, as OATAG has. Resources are wonderful but the contact with the kids is so minimal. Per the Oregon Chief of Schools - priority is to help kids get to a stable social-emotional place. The goal in the fall will be to mitigate the equity gap which is widening daily. [Linda]

Q: How can TAGAC be most helpful? Are parents reaching out to the TAG office? [Tanya]

A: Still getting lots of contact, mainly around identification. All but four schools' ID letters went out today. The remainder will go out next week. [Linda]

Q: What about in the fall? How will identification happen? [Tanya]

A: That's a good question. Testing needs proctoring and there are ways to do it remotely, but I don't know what it would look like at this time. SBAC didn't happen, so we won't have those scores. MAP testing in the spring didn't happen either. Hopefully we can do that in the fall. There's so much in the air. If we can do small groups in TSI/CSI schools, then there will be opportunity. We still have the responsibility to ESL, SpEd and TAG kids to meet needs, along with mainstream students. [Linda]

Q: Will we have guidance in the fall from the state on how to move forward? Is the state TAG investigation complete? [Eric]

A: No, the investigation of middle and high schools is incomplete. I spoke with Angela yesterday; she is creating a survey for administrators and teachers for PPS to send out. There will be another survey for TAG facilitators. Those data points can be gathered. When school opens, then the on-site visits will continue and within a month or so, she can begin writing the report. [Linda]

Q: Every district is reinventing the wheel and I'm wondering how we could help coordinate that work and minimize the effort. [Margaret]

A: That's a great question. The state has a full plate, like everyone else. And they are likely receiving other complaints as this goes on. [Linda]

B. Board update, re: TAG and ACCESS siting (Scott B) TABLED

C. Priorities for next school year; TAG equity plan

Q: What does the committee feel is our primary goal, given the situation? Add comments to the chat window. [Tanya]

Comment: PD needs to be done over several sessions at individual schools with all of its teachers to provide needed support to their goals for change - many CSI/TSI schools. We are making headway in identification and must follow with headway in services. Schools that are resistant to change will have to be approached differently. [Linda]

Comment: Compiling a list of resources that kids are using that remember a student's progress and leveraging those next year to demonstrate rate and level moving forward, e.g. Dreambox, Lexia, Prodigy, Khan Academy. [Marnie]

Comment: Discussion of syllabus publication. The district is developing a GVC and is already required to publish a class syllabus by state law. The district can have a policy of doing more than the state requirements and should. [Margaret]

Comment: Differentiation doesn't mean doing something different, it has to be with an eye to depth and

complexity. Many of the online learning tools do not provide depth. DOK exploration:  
<https://blog.edmentum.com/webb%E2%80%99s-depth-knowledge-framework-basics>

D. Meeting dates for next year

Let's add a meeting in December. Also, we often need more time, so I'd like to expand to 2 hours. And I suggest that maybe we meet more frequently. [Tanya]  
{General agreement. The bylaws allow schedule changes according to the council's determination.}

E. Added item: 2E supports

Q: From connections with SPEAC and Dyslexia committees, support is limited and communication is lagging with the PPS departments. I hope 2E kids are on the TAG department's radar. [Jessica]

A: I will reach out to Aurora and Brenda with this feedback, which is concerning. I understand that the 2E population is vulnerable in the current situation. [Linda]

Q: It would be interesting to see the PAT guidance to teachers simply to know what to expect, as families. We understand that teachers cannot be working their full contract hours. [Sally]

A: Right, there's the direct teaching minutes per student per grade level versus the contracted hours per teacher. From what I see, teachers are working at all hours to make contact with families. [Linda]

Q: What kind of materials are being handed out - are any suitable for TAG students?

A: The math and reading is what's published on the PPS website and then there are materials for science, physical activity, etc. PPS hands out materials at food pickup sites and then it also goes out via school bus to community hubs, apartment buildings in areas where folks are known to not be getting to the pick up sites. [Linda]

#### IV. Questions from guests

Comment: This is a really suitable time to implement 'walk to' programs as the Covid slide exacerbates the gap between students. [Jane]

Comment: Agreed, we won't be able to slip back into how things were being done. Depending on the amount of virtual instruction, the solutions will be different. [Linda]

Q: How does the district communicate standards, curriculum objectives to parents? [Yuliana]

Comment: Let's ask for a crosswalk (GVC, Common Core and TAG) at a meeting next year. [Margaret]

Comment: I'm participating in a report card task force next year, not sure what it will entail. [Tanya A]

#### V. Meeting adjourned

##### Zoom meeting saved chat:

18:25:42 From Tanya A : Hi all! Please sign-in via chat message. Name, school, age of kids. Thanks!

18:27:03 From Tanya A : I'm Tanya Awabdy, TAGAC chair. I have an 11 yo in 5th-grade at ACCESS.

18:28:40 From Yuliana's iPhone : Hi everyone; Yuliana, I have twins. both in 1st grade; 2nd graders to be in Kalapuya school

18:30:31 From Eric : Hi! Jessica, TAGAC co-chair, daughter graduating (one more leftover assignment. sigh) from Lincoln hs , then off to college, 17

18:31:06 From tanyaschaefer : Tanya Schaefer, ACCESS, 7th grader

18:31:26 From Margaret DeLacy : Margaret DeLacy--OATAG

18:31:31 From Scholle McFarland : Scholle McFarland, Access (6th) & Grant High School (10th)

18:31:40 From Jenny Staab : Jenny Staab, 4th grader at Access, Kindergartener at Hayhurst

18:31:55 From Megan Robertson : Megan, note-taker 😊, kids are 7th, 4th & 2nd at Venn.

18:33:50 From Eric Houghton : Eric, member, kids are 5th and 8th at Beach and Ockley. Next year will be at Ockley and Roosevelt. Perhaps. Who knows...



- 18:35:27 From Linda Smith : Hi there. Linda from TAG/IB
- 18:35:49 From Sally : Sally Maltman, guest. Kids are 5th and 3rd at ACCESS.
- 18:56:38 From Jane Chaddick : Jane Chaddick ACCESS MS/ Chapman
- 18:57:29 From Marnie Faust : Marnie Faust, Vestal School, TAGAC member
- 18:58:00 From Jennifer Edmonds : Jennifer Edmonds. My son, Harvey, is at James John in 2nd grade. He was identified in Kindergarten and has applied to Access x 3 now. Fingers crossed for this year.
- 19:00:59 From Scholle McFarland : Might some of those people who are only in SchoolMint be families who are reapplying?
- 19:01:28 From Jennifer Edmonds : Like me? I did a short form.
- 19:02:56 From Scholle McFarland : Good luck, Jennifer!
- 19:06:11 From Jane Chaddick : curious total percent of TAG that are 99th?
- 19:07:59 From Margaret DeLacy : Wasn't TAG AC asking for a school board slot? Was Scott going to fill us in about that? Are changes needed in the report to respond to the shutdown? Can the ID data be folded into the report?
- 19:19:48 From Sally : I would love to see the document from PAT about expectations for teachers during distance learning.
- 19:21:34 From Margaret DeLacy : My priority idea: PPS is supposed to be crafting a guaranteed curriculum. Where does TAG fit into that? Will there be a special set of TAG curricula for schools? Especially if they are doing distance learning still? I'd also like to see that High Schools are actually posting syllabi for every class and then counselors can work with students to figure out what parts of the curriculum they have already mastered.
- 19:22:21 From tanyaschaefer : Are any of the written materials handed out at the food distribution sites appropriate for TAG kids?
- 19:22:33 From tanyaschaefer : MS/HS?
- 19:23:23 From Megan Robertson : pps.net/Page/15265
- 19:25:06 From Scholle McFarland : <https://www.pps.net/Page/15140>
- 19:26:36 From Scholle McFarland : This is a link with more recent information: <https://www.pps.net/Page/15141>
- 19:29:09 From Scholle McFarland : On that note, I'm signing out for dinner. Stay safe everyone!
- 19:37:19 From Jane Chaddick : Zearn for math
- 19:37:58 From tanyaschaefer : Just a guest, but I'm encouraged by Linda's first pass at TAG ID this year in regards to HU students. It seems like a bit of a chicken and egg problem, though. If we ID more HU students without good curriculum, what's the point? And, if we only offer decent differentiation to already privileged kids, then what's the point?
- 19:38:06 From Jennifer Edmonds : Zearn for math
- 19:38:51 From Eric : back to margarret's point - would it be possible to have schools post curriculum goals for each class?
- 19:39:44 From Jane Chaddick : will "Walk To" be encouraged in the fall ?
- 19:40:27 From Margaret DeLacy : So if PPS reconvenes in the fall, there should be a plan for documenting what the students have done at home and then moving on from there. That would require policy and pd.
- 19:44:59 From Yuliana's iPhone : I used this at home to have some inquiry oriented conversations with my 1st graders
- 19:45:03 From Yuliana's iPhone : <https://mysterydoug.com>
- 19:45:41 From Margaret DeLacy : If there are resources that are really important, can OATAG help provide them?
- 19:48:20 From Yuliana's iPhone : a simplified parent friendly version of a list of Common core standards?
- 19:48:36 From Yuliana's iPhone : by grades?
- 19:58:28 From Jennifer Edmonds : Thanks for the invitation to this meeting. I'd be interested in the TAG chat in 10 days. I found this link on Portland Highly Gifted FB group.
- 19:59:05 From Megan Robertson : thanks for joining, Jennifer!
- 20:00:06 From Yuliana's iPhone : Jennifer , thanks! I will try to find a similar group in Salem, Oregon